Monday 16 November 2015

The Consequences Of Attacks In Paris

In assembly today both schools stopped for a minutes silence, our second act of remembrance in less than a week.  Our Union Flag is flying at half mast.

These acts show support and solidarity with the French people but do not say what will happen next.

For LJFS there is the consideration of any changes that we need to make to our planned trip to France, including Paris, in the spring.  We know some parents and pupils are concerned about this going ahead in light of what has happened.

For all our pupils and students there is the growing awareness of the difficult times we live in and how close to home the conflict has come.

At 48 years of age I have seen this over the years time and time again.  I grew up under the shadow of Irish Republican terrorism.  Whilst peace now rests in Northern Ireland the threat still splutters on from time to time.

Those children and families living in Syria and Iraq live under daily threat from attack from any quarter as different factions and the western powers try to either take control or restore peace.

For my father's generation it was the blitz. His stories, as a young child, include remembering sitting in a shelter as bombs rained down on his home town of Coventry.

For the Jews of Europe who, leading up to the war were beaten, forced from their homes, businesses stolen and then many finally ending their lives the camps threat; violence and terror was at a level none can imagine.

Recent attacks have been targeted at the Jewish population  but the most recent was targeted at anyone and no-one.

How then, should we respond?  That question is one that can only be answered individually. 

My response is that I cannot plan for the hate filled actions of the unknown and radicalised few.  I can show my defiance in any way I can, as our communities have done over many years. 

Can I be certain that I will avoid risk? 

No! 

I can ensure that precautions are taken, risk considered and  no-one is put in the way of known significant risk.

Most of all I can strive to ensure that my sons, pupils and students all appreciate the safety they enjoy in a democratic country.  They must also appreciate what others do to create that safety and most of all to appreciate that they have the freedom to have their own opinions, to disagree, to debate and to argue without fear of repercussions.

I leave you to your own thoughts and, if your child is old enough, encourage them to share and discuss their own thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment