Monday 1 June 2015

A snake, a spider, a chongololo and an axoloti.

Year 4 were treated to some unusual visitors today. A large corn snake was the most straight forward of the guests to greet the pupils. I personally, have no problems with snakes and would have enjoyed holding the snake. The tarantula was one I would not have been willing to get so close to, and didn't. I beat a hasty retreat before the spider came out.

I was very excited to see a chongololo (Giant African Millipede). There were very common in Malawi where I once worked, and Zambia where I was born. The little bit of Africa in me jumped excitedly when I saw this visitor.

The most unusual was the axoloti, white with orange gills, this aquatic salamander was both beautiful and transfixing.

The Year 4 pupils thoroughly enjoyed the hands on experience and I am sure the work that will result will be excellent.

In LJFS the students started in their new year groups. We now have Year 8 and Year 9 pupils, waiting for the new Year 7 students to start in September. The new teachers, starting tomorrow joined us for part of the day as part of their induction.

It is an exciting time at the school as we move towards are first 'Options' process, our third intake and  recruiting our fourth cohort.

Busy times as always.

No comments:

Post a Comment